Prior to Eurpoean settlement, the banks of the North and South Pine Rivers were home to many Hoop Pines and Cedars. Most of these magnificent trees were felled for their valuable timber, so that few of them remain today.
John Oxley first noticed them in on this day (1 December) in 1823 on the banks of the North Pine River near present day Petrie.
The old building in the background of these pictures is the administration building for the school. It was originally a farmhouse built by the Stewart Family in the late nineteenth century.
Read more information about these Hoop Pines on the Queensland Cultural Heritage Register.