Kids needed to be educated, and schools needed to be within walking distance.
The deal was that if a community could guarantee at least 12 children, and a suitable building, the government would supply books, and a salary for a teacher.
One of these schools, set up in 1894 was the "Short Cut Provisional School" built at what is now Joyner near the present site of the North Pine Dam.
The school was used until 1915.
Many of these schools were rationalized in the early twentieth century as transport became more reliable and children were able to get to larger schools in the area.